Degrees & Classes

Degrees & Classes

Alcoa Workers (family members too!) - Get Started at BTC!

    Ask BTC

How do I get Started?

    Bellingham Technical College is here to help you with your worker retraining. Sign-up for one our virtual information sessions. Plan for your future now. We understand that this is a stressful time and we have dedicated knowledgeable people to help you navigate selecting and enrolling in our programs.

Steps to Enrolling at BTC

Enroll in Worker Retraining

    The Worker Retraining program is designed to help unemployed or displaced workers update their skills or learn new, in-demand skills that lead to good jobs. If you’re eligible, you may also qualify for short term financial support through this state-funded grant.

    Worker Retraining may provide:

    • Start-up or bridge funding to get you enrolled and started in your academic program or may provide financial support during a time when other resources are not available. Recipients may receive funds to cover tuition and books (may not cover 100%) during your first quarter at BTC. Additional program book costs may be covered contingent on WRT funding levels
    • Assistance coordinating with other agency programs and funding sources to help you pay for the rest of your program, including

      • Maintaining unemployment benefits while attending college
      • Applying for federal financial aid
      • Coordinating with other workforce funding and support program
      • Connecting with additional resources and benefits; and
      • Reemployment assistance upon completion of your academic program

    If you are facing layoff and have not opened our UI claim, please contact the Worker Retraining Coordinator in advance to registering at BTC for important information:

    To qualify, individuals must meet one or more of the following criteria:

    • Were laid off or have received a layoff notice (Notice of Separation from Alcoa is a qualifier for enrollment)
    • Receive or are eligible for unemployment benefits
    • Have exhausted unemployment benefits within the last four years
    • Were self-employed but closed a business due to economic conditions
    • Have been discharged from the Armed Forces within the last four years
    • Active duty received separation papers from the military.

    To qualify as a displaced homemaker, individuals must meet the following criteria:

    Individual who has been providing unpaid services to a family member(s) in the home has been dependent on the income of another family member but is no longer supported by that income; and is unemployed or underemployed, and is experiencing difficulty in obtaining or upgrading employment.

How to Apply

Virtual Information Sessions.

Sign up for an Alcoa information session here

We are here to help you with your next steps and BTC wants to help you succeed!