Assessing Your Starting Point
There are multiple measures to asses your starting point at BTC:
- Take the ACCUPLACER Assessment (more information below)
- Submit High School English and/or math GPAs from within the last five years for evaluation
- Submit SAT and ACT test scores for evaluation
- Submit other test scores for evaluation (Compass, Asset, etc.)
- New! BTC is now implementing the use of the Smarter Balance 11th Grade Assessment for possible placement into English and math college courses
Take the ACCUPLACER Assessment
Students must take the ACCUPLACER Assessment to evaluate reading, math, and grammar skills if their GPA or test scores do not meet the minimum requirements after evaluation, or if they have not taken any of the tests listed above.
The ACCUPLACER assessment is not a pass/fail test – it simply measures your current skill level. Your scores will help you choose the right classes, make a plan, and obtain any needed support services. Starting with the ACCUPLACER means a more successful college experience.
No appointment is needed to take the ACCUPLACER assessment – just pay the $25 fee to the BTC Cashier, Campus Store,or Campus Store Online,and bring your receipt to your test. You will also need to bring your government issued photo identification such as a driver's license, Tribal ID, TWIC card, or passport. Plan to spend about two hours taking the exam.
Your Placement Test will be in H Building, Room H-4 during the times scheduled below.
Weekly ACCUPLACER Assessment Schedule:
- Monday: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm (arrive by 6:00 pm)
- Tuesday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (arrive by 3:00 pm)
We recommend you refresh and review your skills before you take the test.
EdReady can help you prepare for the ACCUPLACER, GED Exam, or your next math class. It shows what you will need to study for the goals you choose and gives you a customized plan to gain mastery. Go to https://btc.edready.org/home to sign up! (Use Firefox when creating your account)
Accuplacer study guides:
Khan Academy produces micro-lectures in the form of YouTube videos. In addition to micro-lectures, the organization's website features practice exercises and tools for educators. All resources are available for free on their website: https://www.khanacademy.org/.
Score Interpretation Tool
Once you have test scores, use the Score Interpretation Tool to determine where to begin your math and English sequence.
Please visit the Assessment Center webpage to find out more information about the ACCUPLACER assessment.