Program Entry Information
Placement into Program
Effective for Fall 2018 applicants to the Surgery Technology Program must complete the the Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) exam with a score of “proficiency” or higher in each of the four areas (reading, mathematics, science and English language and usage) prior to program application.
- ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills)
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score of 85, or a B grade in RDG 085 and Accuplacer Sentence Skills score of 86, or B grade in ENGL 092, or C grade in AENGL 100.
- BTC College Level Math score of 32 or a C grade in MATH 099.
Pre-Program Course Requirements
Effective Fall 2019 applicants to the Surgery Technology program will need to meet a new minimum GPA for the the following six pre-program courses: ENGL& 101, MATH& 107, CHEM& 121, BIOL& 241, BIOL& 242, BIOL& 260. There is no change to thegrade requirements for the other pre-program courses.
Answer this question to determine the minimum GPA that applies to you: Will you submit a complete application packet before September 18, 2018?
If you answered YES, you must meet a minimum GPA of 2.0 (C) in each of the six prerequisite courses listed above.
If you answered NO, then you will be required to meet the higher minimum GPA of 3.0 (B) in each of the six prerequisite courses listed above.
Full List of Pre-program Required Courses:
- The following courses must be completed with a 3.0 (B) grade or better:
- Intro to Surgery Technology (SURG 100)
- The following courses must be completed with a 2.0 (C) grade or better:
- General Biology with Lab (BIOL& 160)
- Interpersonal Communications (CMST& 210)
- HIV/AIDS: Healthcare Professional (HLTH 133)
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology (HT 126)
- The following courses must be completed with the appropriate grade as described above:
- Human A&P 1 (BIOL& 241) ** (Must be no older than 5 years at the time you are eligible for placement on the program ready list)
- Human A&P 2 (BIOL& 242) ** (Must be no older than 5 years at the time you are eligible for placement on the program ready list)
- Microbiology (BIOL& 260)
- Intro to Chemistry (CHEM& 121)
- English Composition I (ENGL& 101)
- Math in Society (MATH& 107) or any MATH course from the AAS-T alternate course list will be accepted.
- This program admits students once a year in the fall quarter.
Prior to registration for SURG 120, admitted students must be eighteen (18) years of age and submit evidence of the following requirements:
1. Physical exam and specified immunizations,
2. Criminal background check,
3. 11-panel drug screen,
4. Current American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR,
5. Medical insurance coverage.
NOTE: Students will be charged a fee of approximately $119.00 for the background check, drug screen, and tracking of required health documents.